Selling some of the upside of interest rate rises
With the view that yields are likely to stay low in the near term we helped our client exploit an opportunity in the derivatives market by designing a simple swaptions mandate. This pension scheme was already well hedged with 80% of its liabilities covered by swaps in its LDI portfolio and whilst the scheme did not have any explicit plans to further hedge its liabilities, it was recognised that it would probably do so if market interest rates were significantly higher.
- Large pension scheme with c. £1bn in assets
- Well hedged with 80% of its liabilities covered by swaps in its LDI portfolio
- An aversion to adding hedging at current yields
In mid-September 2015, we worked with our client to implement a swaption mandate. In doing so, our client sold the upside of long-term interest rates rising by more than 1.5% pa over the next 5 years.
What were the potential outcomes?
- If 30 year interest rates don’t rise by 1.5% pa they are £2.75m better off compared to doing nothing
- If 30 year interest rates do rise by more than 1.5% pa, interest hedging is put in place at 1.5% pa above that currently available and the funding position is expected to be much better
This strategy best suits pension schemes that…
- don’t want to fully hedge liabilities at today’s levels
- already have a bespoke LDI mandate in place
By forgoing some of the potential benefit from rising long-term yields, our client was able to increase their portfolio yield by £2.75m
Our client promise
In this video, Peter Thompson shares his personal experiences of working with us throughout his years as a professional trustee.
How we can help
We help you make important investment decisions, and make sure that your investments are performing as you need them to.
Our investment team works with trustees and sponsors of pension schemes to help them maximise their investment returns, while ensuring risk is well managed.
We help companies manage and mitigate their pensions risks and costs.
We help you get your investment strategy right to ensure good member outcomes in your DB and DC schemes.