30 September 2020
In part 2 of this episode, show hosts Dan Mikulskis and Mary Spencer welcome back Gavin Lewis (Managing Director at BlackRock, Member of the Diversity Project and Founder of Talkaboutblack) to continue their conversation about race in investing. You can listen to part 1 of the episode here.
- Why BAME doesn’t make sense, and might just be there to provide comfort to white people
- Making statements by reading books
- The exhaustion of talking to white people about race
- The difficulty associated with the lightbulb moment that many white people experienced this year
- The bind this placed Black people in who were called upon to receive grief and asked to fix the problem at the same time
- Purpose in investing – why are we producing the investment outcome in the first place?
Gavin’s recommendations – what can people read to become better informed to approach these conversations
- David Olusoga - Black & British a forgotten history
- Isabel Wilkerson - Caste (the societal structure of racism)
- Claudia Hammond - The art of rest
- Rutger Bregman - Humankind – A Hopeful History (Hobbes vs Russeau)
Dan & Mary’s reads:
- Robin DiAngelo & Michael Eric Dyson - White Fragility
- Reni Eddo - Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People about Race
How to access our podcasts
You can access all our podcasts across all major audio platforms via computer or devices.
Each LCP investment uncut podcast is for information and marketing purposes only and does not constitute any form of investment or financial advice or a financial promotion (under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000). All views expressed by the podcast hosts and guests are purely their own opinions and do not represent those of LCP, its clients or affiliates. Our podcast listeners should always seek independent financial or legal advice before making any financial or investment decisions. Please refer to the Legal Notices section on the LCP website for further information.