Meaning from mixed messages
Markets are hard to interpret at the best of times, and these are not the best of times. In fact, reality is messy and often resists the attempts of bulls or bears to pull out clear narratives. It’s almost as if things aren’t always black and white.
Investors, as ever, are left to balance timeless market wisdom, while adjusting for new market dynamics in an ever-changing world.
This edition of Vista reflects that divide. We bring you 10 articles designed to help draw out the meaning from the mixed messages.
Who's Vista for?
Vista is for anyone thinking about the challenges and approaches to long-term investing, including investment teams and decision-makers at pension funds, wealth managers, endowments, charities and sovereign funds.
Some highlights from our magazine include:
- Latest developments in finance and markets, with takeaways for long-term investors: Nikki Matthews explores government digital currencies while Jennifer Davidson covers memestocks.
- Opportunities arising from asset classes in periods of great change: property from James Baldwin, and emerging markets from Madeline Chelper, with a particular focus on China.
- Ideas flying under the radar: African institutional investors by Norbert Fullerton and asset-backed securities by James Trask.
- The S in ESG: Laasya Shekaran explores how social factors can be incorporated into a portfolio while Shyam Gharial asks an uncomfortable question: do you have exposure to modern slavery in your portfolio?
- Inflation - the mixed message issue du jour. Rory Sturrock asks: is inflation the monster coming over the hill? And John Harney ponders whether inflation statistics themselves could in fact be a hall of mirrors.
How we can help
We help central banks design and implement investment strategies to get the most out of their reserves in a risk-controlled manner.
We help charities and endowments construct investment strategies and pick the right investment funds to both meet their financial objectives and be aligned with their missions.
We help our clients to maintain a competitive edge by improving their investment strategies, generating extra returns in a risk-controlled way.
Our investment team works with trustees of DB and DC schemes to set bespoke investment strategies and select fund managers. Using our market-leading technology, we help you navigate your journey by providing you with clear, actionable insights which enable you to make better short and long-term investment decisions.
Setting a good investment strategy and picking the right funds is fundamental for wealth managers and advisers to be able to deliver better outcomes for their clients. Our role is to advise clients on investment strategy and fund manager selection bringing institutional discipline to the retail market.
Every sovereign wealth fund has its own unique circumstances and challenges. As an independent consultancy, we’re not linked to any asset manager and we don’t sell investment products.