Raising the bar - Expectations of investment managers are higher than ever
Welcome to our sixth biennial responsible investment survey.
Every two years we invite a wide selection of investment managers to complete an in-depth survey about responsible investment (RI). It covers:
- their approach to environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues, including climate change; and
- their stewardship practices, such as exercising voting rights and engaging with company management.
146 investment managers completed our 2022 survey, including nearly all the major institutional investment managers in the UK.
Some of the key points we have uncovered are that, compared to two years ago:
- Managers are taking ESG issues and stewardship much more seriously, but more needs to be done
- Significant progress has been made in monitoring and assessing climate-related risks, although we look forward to seeing more detail on managers’ plans to achieve net zero targets
- Voting practices remain strong and continue to improve, but the wider engagement agenda is still somewhat skewed, mainly to climate change and governance issues
With the help of their advisers, asset owners should continue to engage with managers on to understand their responsible investment approaches and encourage improvements where appropriate. It can be difficult to know where to focus attention, so we have included in the report some key actions that asset owners can take. If you would like to understand how we can help you with this, please contact us.
How we can help
We help charities and endowments construct investment strategies and pick the right investment funds to both meet their financial objectives and be aligned with their missions.
We help you make important investment decisions, and make sure that your investments are performing as you need them to.
We help you get your investment strategy right to ensure good member outcomes in your DB and DC schemes.
Our investment team works with trustees of DB and DC schemes to set bespoke investment strategies and select fund managers. Using our market-leading technology, we help you navigate your journey by providing you with clear, actionable insights which enable you to make better short and long-term investment decisions.
We help our clients understand and implement responsible investment principles.